Everything Under the Son

Because JESUS is my everything

Perspective

Monday, October 22, 2012



I've been thinking the last few days (shocking I know!) about life and perspective.  When I am in the midst of any type of struggle, it is so very easy to get bogged down.  So easy to let it weigh heavy on my mind.  Unfortunately, when it is weighing on my mind, my attitude suffers as well.  (I am not the only one, right?)  My patience with my children runs thin, and they bear the brunt of my frustration when I lash out over the silliest of things.  It also becomes all too easy to let other things, much smaller things, become HUGE issues.  Hello, we've all heard the phrase, "making a mountain out of a mole-hill!"  Guilty as charged!

Sometimes, though, I simply need a healthy dose of perspective to remind me of the things that are the most important.  I also need those reminders of the things that are not important...AT ALL!

Life has not been a walk in the park for the last couple of months.  We are thrilled with Nathaniel's new job, and all of the opportunities it provides for him...and us.  It is certainly an answer to prayer!  We simply cannot wait to be moved and all living together in the same county, the same house even!!  But this time of transition has proven to be a challenge both physically and emotionally, for all of us.  Things that are really not that big of a deal, become huge stresses.  Things that do not matter at all, suddenly feel like unconquerable mountains.  And sure, if I were to make a list of all of the things I have faced since Nathaniel has moved, it wouldn't be a small list.  But the reality is, even when I look at that list, I know that the things listed are nothing in the big picture.  Really, things like new brakes for the van, dealing with repair people, trying to sell a house (read: keeping a house clean ALL.THE.TIME!), discipline, bill-paying, budget stretching, the list could go on and on.  But it's nothing.  Oh, sure, they are all things that must be taken care of, but they are all related to HUGE blessings in my life!

Perspective.  The fact that the van had to have new brakes means I have a vehicle that gets me where I need to go.  Dealing with repair people means I have blessings, and I have the means to have them tuned up when they need it.  Trying to sell a house means I have a house to sell, and keeping it clean means I have special things around me in my home.  Disciplining the children means we are together, healthy and happy (mostly :).  Bill-paying and budget stretching...well, I know there is a blessing in there somewhere ;)  All of these things, and so much more...blessings in my life.

Perspective.  My problems are small.  Especially when they are compared to the problems that others around me are facing...problems I myself have faced in the past.  I am embarrassed that as someone who has survived cancer and lost two children, that I can lose perspective so easily.  But I do.  Shame on me.  I'm selfish, and sinful,  and I get bogged down by the inconveniences in my life, instead of counting the blessings.  There are those around me fighting cancer.  There are those who are grieving loss - devastating loss.  There are some who would give anything for a house to call home, for a vehicle to get them to the places they need to go.

Perspective.  Even though I lost it, I'm thankful to say I have found it again.  And while the challenges I face may not be easy, I am reminded that they are not the big picture.  I will step back, take a deep breath, and give thanks.

Again and again, I will give thanks.

Perspective.  I am so very blessed.  Thank you, Father!




posted by Anne, 8:50 PM

1 Comments:

What a great post to start my day with. I feel so blessed to have you and the kids in my life.

I love you!
Blogger Nathaniel, at 8:18 AM  

Add a comment