Everything Under the Son
Because JESUS is my everything
Ouch.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
This morning was not one of the mornings I will look back on and remember warmly. Nothing was easy, and the kids were whining about everything, or at least that is how it felt. I won't go into all of the details here because they aren't necessary, but I will say that I thought I had put forth special effort to plan and prepare for a special art time, and I was met with nothing but whining, crying, slamming of pencils, and stomping off in a huff. Not a great way to greet fun.
I reacted in a way that I am not proud of, and topped the whole thing off by sending everyone to their rooms. As I collapsed into the chair, weary and feeling like I had once again failed as a mother, I could do nothing but cry. Then I started thinking about the bigger lesson here.
If this attitude of entitlement and un-gratefulness makes me so upset, how does God feel when I act the same way? How often to I act selfish and ungrateful for the blessings before me? How often do I look at what I have been presented with, and complain that it's not good enough? That it's too hard? That I can't do it...won't do it...wah, wah, wah. I wonder if God wants to say the same thing to me that I said to my children..."Go to your room and think about it!" OUCH!
I'll never give up on my kids. This parenting thing is harder than I ever imagined, and I realize more and more every day that I am highly unqualified and extremely inadequate when it comes to this job of raising my children. But I will NEVER give up trying to do better...trying to teach them and model for them what's good and right.
How much more then, does God feel that same way for me? For today, I will rest in these things...I am not alone on this parenting journey. I have Nathaniel by my side, and God has our backs. And just like I'll never give up, He will never give up on me.
(I have talked with the kids, explaining my mistake in handling the situation, and have asked for their forgiveness. We talked about how no one is perfect, certainly not mommy, and that I was sorry for my actions. I am hopeful that we have all walked away from this morning with a few lessons...I know I sure have.)
I reacted in a way that I am not proud of, and topped the whole thing off by sending everyone to their rooms. As I collapsed into the chair, weary and feeling like I had once again failed as a mother, I could do nothing but cry. Then I started thinking about the bigger lesson here.
If this attitude of entitlement and un-gratefulness makes me so upset, how does God feel when I act the same way? How often to I act selfish and ungrateful for the blessings before me? How often do I look at what I have been presented with, and complain that it's not good enough? That it's too hard? That I can't do it...won't do it...wah, wah, wah. I wonder if God wants to say the same thing to me that I said to my children..."Go to your room and think about it!" OUCH!
I'll never give up on my kids. This parenting thing is harder than I ever imagined, and I realize more and more every day that I am highly unqualified and extremely inadequate when it comes to this job of raising my children. But I will NEVER give up trying to do better...trying to teach them and model for them what's good and right.
How much more then, does God feel that same way for me? For today, I will rest in these things...I am not alone on this parenting journey. I have Nathaniel by my side, and God has our backs. And just like I'll never give up, He will never give up on me.
(I have talked with the kids, explaining my mistake in handling the situation, and have asked for their forgiveness. We talked about how no one is perfect, certainly not mommy, and that I was sorry for my actions. I am hopeful that we have all walked away from this morning with a few lessons...I know I sure have.)
1 Comments:
Oh! This brought tears to my eyes I couldn't help but think what a truly wonderful mommy you are, faults and all! We are all that way. But you have such a wonderful way to teach us all a valuable lesson.
And a lesson on forgiveness! How appropriate after Joseph forgiving his brothers and having a big party last night at SBA!
Love you!
And a lesson on forgiveness! How appropriate after Joseph forgiving his brothers and having a big party last night at SBA!
Love you!
