Everything Under the Son

Because JESUS is my everything

Spring Break

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


It's spring break around here and I know you are wondering what we have been up to. I wish I had some fabulous Spring Break trip to tell you about...but there wasn't room in the budget for that. Instead, we tried to make the most of being home. Now that the week is almost over, I am looking back wishing I had done better. I wish I had made better memories with my kids...that we had played more, cooked together more,...more. Instead of beating myself up for all of the ways I failed, I am instead going to focus on the fun that we did have, and try to make the best of these last few days.

We DID laugh! We have gone for ice cream, we went out to see some rattlesnakes, we have played Guess Who?, and we have watched High School Musical (don't judge me!). We have eaten Nathaniel's homemade granola bars, cleaned out both of their rooms (though tomorrow you won't even be able to tell!), and we have been on a picnic. We have been to the zoo, and almost got a little lesson in the birds and bees from the giraffes...YIKES! We have cleaned out the car together (my kids love to use that vacuum thingy!), and then we even drove through the car wash to clean the outside...a super treat! We have played outside, and we have eaten in front of the TV...again, don't judge me! I've made a moss wreath, and I have put plans together for Natalie's family birthday dinner at my sister's house...Pink Cowgirl's Rule!

One day soon we are taking a day trip to see Maw Maw and Paw Paw. It will be a long day, but I think we will have lots of fun. We are visiting an old village, much like Little House on the Prairie, where the kids will be able to touch and play with all of the goodies in each cabin and store, learning about life in settler times. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time period. As much as I love many of the modern conveniences we have now, I long for simple. I long for wide open spaces, for home and family. I want to ride in a wagon, and feed the chickens, and grow our own food. I want to milk the cows, and pick wildflowers, and bake fresh bread every day. Maybe someday Nathaniel and I will be able to homestead...wouldn't that be grand?! I'm not sure who is going to have more fun tomorrow, me or the kids?

I am sure while we are there we will get to eat out, and maybe even do a little shopping. Of course the highlight will be spending time with my parents..Maw Maw and Paw Paw. The kids always love spending time with them. It's funny how much Levi is like my dad...scary, but funny!

I am sure we will also try to squeeze in a little more fun and laughter before we head back to school. What about you? What have you done? What memories have you made?
posted by Anne, 9:01 PM

3 Comments:

Those sound like some wonderful memories for your family. Remember, the simplest times are best and easily remembered!
Blogger Lolosblog, at 4:55 PM  
And, as I'm asking my kids ... do you remember... 'x' -- the memories are ours, the feelings are the kids'. The feelings of knowing that mom is there and wants to spend time with them -- that doesn't cost much at all. My kids remember virtually nothing of preschool age, and very little from elementary years. Sad, but true. Don't break your neck making memories, just spend time being together.
Blogger Sarah, at 9:38 AM  
Ha Ha Anne...we were also witnesses to the Giraffe exhibit at the zoo...Thank Goodness Jolea is only 2...so she wasnt asking any questions!
Blogger Terah, at 3:47 PM  

Add a comment