Everything Under the Son
Because JESUS is my everything
New Schedules, New beginnings, New Mercies
Monday, August 24, 2009
It's that time of year...back to school season is upon us. Natalie has been back at it for a week, and the university begins today, which means Nathaniel is super busy at work. The smell of freshly sharpened pencils, new backpacks, and new shoes fills the air. Trust me when I tell you I am addicted to school supplies, so this time of year is especially great for me...and once the stores begin to clearance their overages, I will really be a happy camper.
What I am finding though, is that more than the new school supplies, new school uniforms, and new schedules, I am most excited about the opportunity to re-evaluate life, and form some new habits. A new beginning as I chose a new Bible study for the fall, and a new routine of Bible reading around the dinner table...filling our bellies and filling our souls. Drinking in the Living Water, the One who can truly fill us.
This year, more than those passed, I find myself in need of some new mercies. I need a clean slate and the opportunity to leave disappointments (especially disappointments in myself) in the past, and to move forward with a heart full of new possibilities. I need to re-structure my time because somehow, in the un-important busy-ness of the summer, I have let the most important things go. I have allowed many things to crowd my mind that hold little importance, and haven't spent much time meditating on the important things. The urgent has overtaken me, and the important has taken a backseat.
Many have suffered. My children have borne the brunt of my impatience and quick temper. My husband has, too. My family has suffered with my selfishness and laziness. It's time for that to cease. It is time for me to re-prioritize, and focus. I am going to do just that.
There is a new schedule. Back to school for the kids and back to work for me. There is always a transition that must take place as we reacquaint ourselves with the schedule of the school year. I will handle it with care, making sure to put first things first. I will strive for daily time with the Lord...I need it. I need Him. I will work to be patient...after all, that's what love is. Love is patient.
I think it all comes down to that, doesn't it? That little four letter word that seems to be mis-understood and mis-interpreted. L-O-V-E. I will love the Lord, putting Him first. I will love my family, caring for them and nurturing them as I have been called to do. I will love others, making time to be Jesus to those around me. And I will love myself. That last one doesn't come easily, but I am working on it. Loving myself...and putting myself back on my list. After all, God thinks I am special.
So what about you? Where are you during this new beginning stage of the year? Are you seeking ways to love more, love better, love more deeply? Are you resting in God's new mercies?
What I am finding though, is that more than the new school supplies, new school uniforms, and new schedules, I am most excited about the opportunity to re-evaluate life, and form some new habits. A new beginning as I chose a new Bible study for the fall, and a new routine of Bible reading around the dinner table...filling our bellies and filling our souls. Drinking in the Living Water, the One who can truly fill us.
This year, more than those passed, I find myself in need of some new mercies. I need a clean slate and the opportunity to leave disappointments (especially disappointments in myself) in the past, and to move forward with a heart full of new possibilities. I need to re-structure my time because somehow, in the un-important busy-ness of the summer, I have let the most important things go. I have allowed many things to crowd my mind that hold little importance, and haven't spent much time meditating on the important things. The urgent has overtaken me, and the important has taken a backseat.
Many have suffered. My children have borne the brunt of my impatience and quick temper. My husband has, too. My family has suffered with my selfishness and laziness. It's time for that to cease. It is time for me to re-prioritize, and focus. I am going to do just that.
There is a new schedule. Back to school for the kids and back to work for me. There is always a transition that must take place as we reacquaint ourselves with the schedule of the school year. I will handle it with care, making sure to put first things first. I will strive for daily time with the Lord...I need it. I need Him. I will work to be patient...after all, that's what love is. Love is patient.
I think it all comes down to that, doesn't it? That little four letter word that seems to be mis-understood and mis-interpreted. L-O-V-E. I will love the Lord, putting Him first. I will love my family, caring for them and nurturing them as I have been called to do. I will love others, making time to be Jesus to those around me. And I will love myself. That last one doesn't come easily, but I am working on it. Loving myself...and putting myself back on my list. After all, God thinks I am special.
So what about you? Where are you during this new beginning stage of the year? Are you seeking ways to love more, love better, love more deeply? Are you resting in God's new mercies?
1 Comments:
I love your heard and your eloquent way with words. You express yourself in such a beautiful way. I am proud to call you my sister!
