Everything Under the Son
Because JESUS is my everything
Risky Business
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Being a Christian is risky business. We are called to take risks for Jesus. He has called us to step out of our comfort zones and into the yuck of the world and show His love. I am failing miserably at this.
The preacher Sunday put it like this. The impala can jump something like 10 feet high, and 30 feet across, yet if he is put behind a 3 foot fence, he will stay there forever. He MUST be able to see where he is going to land BEFORE he will ever jump. Because of his fear of the unknown, he remains imprisoned behind the wall forever.
That's me. I like control, and I like predictability. I make a list and I check it off. I like knowing what is next, and being able to plan. I don't consider myself a risk taker, and I certainly don't like to be thrust out of my comfort zone. I live in fear that if I take a risk, and something goes wrong, that me or my family will suffer. I dislike failure...honestly, I hate failure. In a world where people are all-to-quick to sue and where revenge is constant, I live in fear of risk.
What I have discovered is this: I am sinning. I am in prison because of my sin. I am not following the call to take action. I am not taking risks for Jesus. I am not acting in faith. I have been unwilling to risk myself for Jesus...and, I hate it. I'll be thinking alot more about this...searching out my heart and asking myself the hard questions. I'll be filling my heart and my head with the power of faith, and I will work to take risks for Jesus.
What about you? When was the last time you took a 'leap of faith'?
The preacher Sunday put it like this. The impala can jump something like 10 feet high, and 30 feet across, yet if he is put behind a 3 foot fence, he will stay there forever. He MUST be able to see where he is going to land BEFORE he will ever jump. Because of his fear of the unknown, he remains imprisoned behind the wall forever.
That's me. I like control, and I like predictability. I make a list and I check it off. I like knowing what is next, and being able to plan. I don't consider myself a risk taker, and I certainly don't like to be thrust out of my comfort zone. I live in fear that if I take a risk, and something goes wrong, that me or my family will suffer. I dislike failure...honestly, I hate failure. In a world where people are all-to-quick to sue and where revenge is constant, I live in fear of risk.
What I have discovered is this: I am sinning. I am in prison because of my sin. I am not following the call to take action. I am not taking risks for Jesus. I am not acting in faith. I have been unwilling to risk myself for Jesus...and, I hate it. I'll be thinking alot more about this...searching out my heart and asking myself the hard questions. I'll be filling my heart and my head with the power of faith, and I will work to take risks for Jesus.
What about you? When was the last time you took a 'leap of faith'?
3 Comments:
Man..that's some good prechin!! Thanks for the great devo today. I am SO glad to see you back! Is everyone well yet? You are such great inspiration for me. Thanks!
I think you summed the sermon on Sunday up well. It was a real treat to hear Rick preach. I definitely left there feeling convicted too. I just love a sermon that really makes me reevaluate my life. I think we are a lot alike because I too am a planner:) Thanks for the reminder sweet friend.
Great post! I'm not a risk taker either- at all! I like to know everything that WILL happen (impossible!!!) and I have a hard time with uncertainty.
