Everything Under the Son

Because JESUS is my everything

Cain and Abel

Friday, September 14, 2007


All week long Natalie has been telling me, "Mom, I just have to go to Bible Class Wednesday. My teacher is going to tell us about something bad that happened in the Bible!" She was most excited to learn a new story and see what possibly could have happened...the mystery of it all made her so eager.

Wednesday night came and she ran into class, anxious to hear about what bad thing happened in the Bible. After class I was asking her about it, and she reveals to me that they talked about Cain and Abel. "You know, Mom, he killed his brother because he got really jealous. He didn't have the best sacrifice to God, and he was jealous."

She went on, retelling me the story, full of details, which she loves. (Who ever met a four year old who loved the tiniest details?) Anyway, after talking for several minutes about all that she had learned, she said, "Mom, now the brothers are in Heaven together...you know, like Hope and Carson." "Yes, Natalie. You are right."

Then, imagine this, there is SILENCE for a few moments! She was thinking very hard about something. Look out Mommy, that usually means a hard question, and this time was no different.

"Um, Mommy, you know we send Hope and Carson balloons on their birthday?"

"Yes, Natalie. One for each year old they would be."

"Mommy, if I die before you and Daddy, will you send me balloons on my birthday, too?"

Wow, that is a hard question. So hard that it made a lump well up in my throat and tears come to my eyes. In my head I am thinking 'I don't want to talk about that, much less think about it right now.' But I know she wants an answer, and and I want to be honest with her.

"Yes, Natalie. But I hope and pray that you will live a long time with me and Daddy, and grow up big. So Natalie, what if Mommy goes to Heaven. Will you send me balloons on my birthday?"

She says in her sassy little matter of fact way (that I love!), "No, Mommy. I think I will send you a card instead!"

Then she thinks for a few more seconds and then adds, "Mommy, I sure hope your birthday is a windy day. That way the card can make it all the way up to Heaven."

Wow...the conversations she and I have. Some easy, some long, some short and sweet, some hilarious, and some so deep that I wonder what to say. I love how she can take a Bible story and weave it through her memories and her mind and find connections....ways that our life is connected to those who have gone on before us. And I love how she remembers her brother and sister, who are looking down on her from above. I love the connections she feels to them, though she was never able to run and play and laugh and pray with them. But one day, she will do all of those things, and I think it will be glorious!

I am so thankful for her Bible Class teachers, and the ways they are writing God's Word in her heart. And the fact that she loves every moment of it makes me oh, so, happy!


posted by Anne, 7:54 AM

4 Comments:

Natalie is as cute and sweet as she is smart!! Like I said before, maybe an arranged marriage? Little Case is quiet cute and smart himself!LOL! Have a great day!
Blogger Amy, at 9:57 AM  
What a sweet story! I love hearing the truthfulness of what is one a child's mind and in their hearts. Oh to stay young, innocent, and keep those endless possibilities! Love ya!!
Blogger Shelley, at 9:57 AM  
I love that little girl! I remember having discussions with mine when they were young. Never knew which direction they were going! It's neat that you are journaling those on here so that you can go back and remember them. Wish I had done something like that. Just another way to enjoy the Blog. Thanks for sharing...
Blogger Unknown, at 2:55 PM  
Wow! Awesome story! What a smart little girl and so sweet and thoughtful.
Blogger Whitney, at 9:18 AM  

Add a comment