Everything Under the Son
Because JESUS is my everything
Back then...
Monday, August 13, 2007
At our house, we do not have cable or satellite TV. We have the basic few channels, and then videos/DVD's. One of Natalie's favorites right now happens to be Little House on the Prairie. I couldn't be happier. It is such a great series, with so many moral lessons. Natalie has learned so much from watching, and she always asks the best questions. She has learned about chores, and about modest dress. She has learned about honesty, and forgiveness, and the importance of family. I love it!
Today, we were watching an episode together while Levi was napping. The Ingalls' family was attending church together, and they were singing a song that was somewhat familiar to Natalie from our own singing at church. She suddenly turned to me with this question: "Mommy, how come they don't have screens with the words on them? And why don't they have the little TV's for the praise team to see the words? Surely they have children's church 'cause I love that part!"
Of course I explained to her the answers. That they didn't have the technologies we have now...from screens all the way down to flushy potties! She seemed satisfied with the explanation.
But this all got me to thinking...in her little world, at four years old, all she knows really is church based upon our own congregation and my parents' church. What a huge world of worship awaits her! And I thought to myself how much I don't want to keep her in a little box, where she thinks there is only one single way to do things. I want so much to teach her what the Bible says, to teach her about the Holy Spirit, and to let her see that there are many ways we worship the Father!
Lord, help me to teach my children Your ways. Help me to fill their hearts and minds with Your truth, and instill in them a longing to follow You all the days of their lives! May my steps be worship, may my thoughts be praise! Amen.
What about you? What are some different worship experiences you have had...your children have had? What are some ways we can expose our children to other worship styles/traditions?
Today, we were watching an episode together while Levi was napping. The Ingalls' family was attending church together, and they were singing a song that was somewhat familiar to Natalie from our own singing at church. She suddenly turned to me with this question: "Mommy, how come they don't have screens with the words on them? And why don't they have the little TV's for the praise team to see the words? Surely they have children's church 'cause I love that part!"
Of course I explained to her the answers. That they didn't have the technologies we have now...from screens all the way down to flushy potties! She seemed satisfied with the explanation.
But this all got me to thinking...in her little world, at four years old, all she knows really is church based upon our own congregation and my parents' church. What a huge world of worship awaits her! And I thought to myself how much I don't want to keep her in a little box, where she thinks there is only one single way to do things. I want so much to teach her what the Bible says, to teach her about the Holy Spirit, and to let her see that there are many ways we worship the Father!
Lord, help me to teach my children Your ways. Help me to fill their hearts and minds with Your truth, and instill in them a longing to follow You all the days of their lives! May my steps be worship, may my thoughts be praise! Amen.
What about you? What are some different worship experiences you have had...your children have had? What are some ways we can expose our children to other worship styles/traditions?
1 Comments:
Anne,
I have a great book on this that Taylor gave me. I think it was required reading for one of her classes at Harding. I just finished reading it a few weeks ago. As soon as I unpack and locate it, I'll let you know!
I have a great book on this that Taylor gave me. I think it was required reading for one of her classes at Harding. I just finished reading it a few weeks ago. As soon as I unpack and locate it, I'll let you know!
